Common Challenges Facing Muslim Patients
- Modesty for both men and women.
- Gender issues: The O.B. On call at many hospitals in Muslim countries is called the L.M.O.
(Lady medical officer).
- Dietary Restrictions:
- Forbidden non-zabiha meat, alcohol and pork as well as medicines made of these forbidden
substances e.g., cough medicine because of alcohol, pork insulin, gelatin capsules.
- Exceptions -
Critical for patient survival.
No alternative medicine.
- Confusion with names and dates.
- Two people divided by the same language.