Role Of Clergy
- In theory there is no clergy in Islam, only scholars.
- However, in practice, clergy or imams exist and are called upon for all types of rituals
especially those related to washing the dead, burial, praying for the salvation of the
deceased, illness, marriage etc.
- Even at the time of death, Muslim is surrounded by close family who encourage him to
recite the Muslim confession of faith “shahada”: (Allah is one and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
is His messenger).
- There is no concept of last rites.
- Frequently local Imam may visit the sick.